Thursday, May 13, 2010

Arrivederci!


Well dear friends I fail at blogging. I find that it is only late at night that I can convince myself to stop looking at the world around me and get to writing a blog post.

I must swallow my pride for a second and admit that it wasn't until I reached the airport that I realized how big of a decision I had made when I decided to come to Italy for the summer. While boarding the plane my throat went dry and my heart tightened in my chest. What in the world was I doing? I cursed my impulsiveness and thirst for adventure as I sat in my small airplane seat and prepared for the long flight. My mind was going a million miles a minute as I thought of the people I would miss, dealing with culture shock alone, what the family would be like, and so on. I finally told myself to suck it up and that I was in it for the long haul and I'd better get used to it.


Despite my worries I arrived safe and sound in Italy on Saturday, May 8th. Seeing the family waiting for me put me at ease and we greeted eachother with many smiles.


The family is wonderful. Monica, the mom, and I get along great. I love getting to know her and spending time with her. I am nannying for two children. Giuseppe, 5, is a little man and insists on holding the door for people. Margherita, 2 1/2, mumbles her Italian with an adorable lisp. They don't understand that I don't speak Italian, yet strangely I understand them better than anyone.


Bergamo, Italy is perhaps the most beautiful cities I have ever been in. There is Citta Alta, the higher city, which has all of the origional buildings, the newest being from the 19th century. There are churches that were constructed in the 12th century as well. All of this is a short walk from our house. My camera will be my constant companion.


I miss people at home, it's true, but I love being here and I look forward to my expirience. I have already grown to love the family I am living with, and can't wait to get to know them better and for them to know me as well. Until next time.


Peace in Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment